Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sunset Park Shootings?

Last night, just around 8 PM, we heard two pops that sounded like they were just up the street. I always say it's just fireworks; my husband always says it's gunfire. A few minutes later a police car or two sped by followed by an ambulance. I had a meeting to attend, so I walked by the park at about 8:20 PM to see the swings full of kids, the ice cream vendors doing good business, and lots of people standing around chatting. There was also a police car stationed at the park entrance on 6th Avenue and 44th Street. Still, I suppose because of the happily swinging kids, I figured it had been some park silliness or the drunks throwing bricks at the ice cream vendors again, and went on my way.

Upon returning home, I had an email from a neighbor that said a drive by had occurred at the 6th Ave and 44th entrance. A drive by shooting into the park. So far, I haven't found any evidence of it (other than the previously mentioned police car and pops), but I also found out there had been "shots fired" at 66th and 4th (technically Bay Ridge?) just about 8 PM. Related? Speculation is that the drive by, at least, is a gang related issue.

More than anything, I'm angry that some machismo scheisskopf has the chutzpah (yes, I'm mixing languages) to shoot into a park filled with children and families. Get over yourself. It shows cowardice and a total lack of self-respect. Shooting into a busy park from a moving car? Someone has seen too many slow-motion movie scenes. Obviously, and thankfully, no one was hurt.

Hopefully, this will turn out to be just rumor and not fact. Somehow, my head tells me it's not.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a fact, unfortunately. I live at 574 44th street (right at that corner) and a woman in our building was walking by when it happened and saw the whole thing.

I hope they catch the bastard. I can tolerate violence that involves these gang morons offing each other, but when it comes to opening fire in a crowded park, that's a whole other story.

Anonymous said...

It sort of goes with the earlier post about kids throwing bottles over the fence into a swimming pool full of children. That there is no dead or injured body means that you won't hear much from the police about it. Usually they just send a cop or two to look for shell casings, if even. Yes, it is that common. Your question mark'd header made me chuckle....

BestViewInBrooklyn said...

Yeah, the question mark was only to maintain some sort of distance from being a rumor-mill. I didn't see it myself, so...

Anonymous said...

Trust me drive-by thugs are not reading this BLOG. If you really want to have an impact - go to the monthly 72nd Precinct Community Council meetings held at Marien-Heim Senior Housing on 44th & 4th Ave. it is either the second or third Tuesday evening - call the precint or community board for the time & date.

it is open to everyone and you can address your concerns to the Commanding Officer of the precinct directly. you can hold the police accountable in terms of letting us know what is going on in the neighborhood and you can be proactive in terms of making things better.

BestViewInBrooklyn said...

Hear hear. If anyone wants to know what went on at the last meeting, check out http://bestviewinbrooklyn.blogspot.com
/2008/06/heres-what-happened-community-council.html

And anyone who actually SAW what happened should call the precinct office at 718 965 6311 because there is no record of the events at the precinct as of ten minutes ago.