Monday, June 9, 2008

Sergeant McGoey Retires After 31 Years at the 72nd Precinct

Today we lose a fantastic Sergeant. Sgt. McGoey is turning in his badge today and retiring. The New York Times has an article about the 72nd Sergeant's career, all but eight years were right here. Sgt. McGoey was at the CB7 public hearing about Tacos 2004 and its desire for a renewed liquor license. After giving his report, he stayed for the entire meeting because residents has additional questions. Solid community relations, that is. The photo is from Christian Hansen of the NYT.

2 comments:

Rob K said...

Oh, my goodness! I didn't know Sgt. McGoey was still on the force.

I had the pleasure of writing about him and the other CPOP officers at the 72nd Pct. back in the 1980's when I worked for the Bay Ridge Home Reporter.

Sgt. McGoey is a gentleman and a credit to the NYPD--and New York in general for that matter. I'm sorry to see him go and I wish him all the best.

Anonymous said...

Sgt. McGoey was not only a gentleman, but he was (as they say) a cops cop. I had the honor of working under his supervision while I was a young Police Officer in the 72 pct. I learned so much from the man and have so much to be grateful to him. He cared for us cops and he also GENUINELY cared for the community of Sunset Park.

On September 11, 2001 I was one of the first responders going to Manhattan from my new assignment at the Brooklyn South Narcotics District. As I was about to enter the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, I recognized Sgt. McGoey directing emergency vehicles into the tunnel. Although we hadn't seen eachother in years, I recall locking eyes with him. I gave him a honk and a wave, and he gave me a nod and a wave. Although we were too far from eachother for words, I understood what he was trying to tell me all the way from the other side of the street. It was a fatherly look of concern for my safety. I could see his concern for me. His was the last face I saw before I entered the tunnel leading to Downtown Manhattan.

Sgt. Andrew McGoey, I SALUTE YOU! You're one of a kind and I feel sorry for the new officers coming on who won't have the benefit of your leadership. May God Bless You and yours, always.

Det. Milton Rosario (Ret)
DetRosario@aol.com