Friday, June 6, 2008

Sunset Park Claims a Climber

Honestly, the coolest thing about the whole NYT climb yesterday is this photo taken by Nicholas W. Skyles, who works at the New York Times building. I'm not a big fan of people who risk their own lives and the safety of others to bring attention to a cause. I know, I know. We're supposed to love risk-takers and admire their cojones and all that. Well, I don't. In fact, I wouldn't even bother mentioning it except that the second guy was from....you guessed it....Sunset Park! He's in Bellevue now, but usually he lays his brave old bod right in our neighborhood.

You can read all about it in the NYT version of the story. Now, Malaria No More is a worthy cause. No one would dare dispute that. And bringing attention to Global Warming is important as well. But it's not as though either of these issues is obscure or neglected. I mean, Malaria No More even has Jordin Sparks singing to our current fearless leader in its name. Not only did Idol Gives Back contribute to it, but ExxonMobil is a partner as well. Yeah, this organization really needs help. Bring it home, Reynaldo. Check out Neighbors Helping Neighbors or the Center for Family Life. I'm sure you can think of some interesting stunt to bring attention to these worthy organizations as well.

Anyway, of course the second climber, who reached the top despite some wiggles and wobbles, was from Sunset Park. I wonder if he lives around 18th Street? Or would Park Slope want to claim him then?

No comments: